About This Course
Numbers can tell powerful stories. Data Storytelling lies at the intersection of data sciences, visualization, and storytelling. In this hands-on workshop, driven by practice and application, participants will play with data and find the hidden stories within. They will also use visualization techniques to bring their data stories to life.
Note: This is an intensive, hands-on, and mastery-oriented workshop. Participants should be ready to complete all pre-workshop and post-workshop activities and evaluations to benefit from this program.
The workshop will be divided into three parts:
- Pre-workshop: Data visualization using Excel primer and pre-test. (up to 2 hours)
- Live Synchronous Workshop: 4 hours.
- Post-workshop: (up to 1 hour including a 10 minute one-on-one presentation)
Skill Drill 1: Planning. (30 minutes)
In this skill drill, participants will work in teams to create the Who-What structure for their presentation topics. They will further refine their Why-What by conducting a target audience analysis and identifying what is important to the audience. Participants will also work on defining the single Big Idea for their presentation and connect it back to the What.
Skill Drill 2: Data Storytelling. (3.5 hours)
In this skill drill, participants will explore aspects of data storytelling. They will work with simple sets of data and identify techniques to:
- conduct small experiments.
- find a data story.
- chose effective visuals and data representation.
- eliminate clutter and focus attention by using visual devices.
- marry the data story to the overall story.
Participants will also explore the following data visualization techniques:
- Different types of charts.
- Pivot tables, text and tables.
- Standard Deviation.
- Sparklines and Heatmaps.
- Scatter Plots.
- Pareto Charts.
- Tree Maps.
- Flow Charts and Decision Trees.
- Decision Matrix.
Post-Workshop Presentation and Evaluation:
Participants will be given a data set to develop a data story post the workshop. The final presentation will be made in front of a select panel. The panel, along with the facilitator, will evaluate each presentation on the same three parameters using in the pre-workshop phase:
- Data story.
- Data visualization.
- Use of visual devices.
This will be followed by a summative feedback. The feedback scores will be used to evaluate the success of the workshop.
- Program workbook.
- Data storytelling guidebook.
- Slide templates and a visual guide.
- Learning nudges on days 2, 5, 10, and 15.
- Sound knowledge of Excel and basic statistics
- Anyone who is required to make data driven presentations