About This Course
The ability to negotiate and close deals with clients and partners is a critical skill that sales professionals need in today’s dynamic and competitive world. While deals must be successfully closed, the terms of the contract must be fair and profitable for both parties. This micro-workshop is geared towards making sales professionals astute negotiators. At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Step through the negotiation process to achieve win-win deals.
- Generate options to achieve business goals.
- Apply behavioral techniques in negotiation.
- Reflect on one’s own behavioral style during negotiation.
- Identify areas of improvement and create a personal action plan to improve negotiation skills.
Skill Drill 1: Discover the process of principled negotiation
Fischer and Ury have argued for ‘Wise Agreements’ instead of ‘Positional Bargaining’ as a tool for successful negotiations. In this skill drill, we explore the four principles of Fischer and Ury’s model. Their four principles are:
- Separate the people from the problem.
- Focus on interests rather than positions.
- Generate a variety of options before settling on an agreement.
- Use objective criteria – BATNA and WATNA Methodology.
This skill drill is driven using an interactive and challenging case challenge around a hostage situation. Participants are divided into two teams. Teams are given 5 rounds to arrive at a Win-Win solution and end the hostage crisis.
Participants discover and experience all the four principles listed above through this case.
We will also discover the step-by-step negotiation process:
- Information gathering.
- Identifying the Negotiation Range, the Resistance and Settlement points.
- Probing and researching to identify needs and exploring possible areas of resistance.
- Generating offers and counteroffers.
- Hard bargaining and problem solving.
- Countering tactics, making concessions, and reaching an agreement.
- Pushing for a deal.
- Following-up and documenting.
- Transferring knowledge.
Skill Drill 2: Process Lab
This skill drill will provide an opportunity to all participants to practice their negotiation skills. Participants will be divided into teams and assigned realistic roles. They will be given up to 3 rounds to negotiate using the tools and techniques learned and arrive at a deal. Each team will provide a short synopsis of their personal discoveries in the process. The case exercises used in this process lab will be specifically customized for the requirements of the organization. Each role play will be followed by reflection, debrief and feedback.
Post Training Support
- Refresher through emails – 0, 5, 10, 30, 45 days.
- Negotiation handbook and quick reference guide.
- Short self-paced simulation
- No prerequisites
- All sales team. Institutional sales and B2B sales