About This Course
Nothing engages, nurtures, and motivates employees more than a well conducted performance feedback discussion. Research has shown that employees who receive timely, proper, and structured performance feedback are more likely to stay engaged, motivated, and focused at work. The ability to conduct a good performance feedback discussion is a critical skill that all managers must develop. In this workshop, we move ahead from feedback to the process of feedforward.
Skill Drill 1: Cognitive Biases (15 minutes)
The objective of this session is to develop awareness about biases and recognize the impact they have on performance management. In particular, participants will explore the following biases: Availability heuristics, Halo effect, Recency effect, and the Confirmation bias. Participants will discover the performance history worksheet that can be used to mitigate the impact of biases.
Skill Drill 2: Master the feedforward conversations using STAR/AR (1.5 hours)
Traditional feedback techniques focused on finding gaps and correcting behaviors do not work. What managers need to focus on is a participative approach in identifying alternate strategies and focusing on what can be done in the future under similar situations.
In this experiential and gamified session, participants will explore the STAR/AR model of providing feedback and use it to structure feedback conversations with their team members. In this session, participants will:
- Use the structured STAR/AR framework to drive a feedback discussion
- Understand the difference between the directive and coaching styles and when to use which style
- Explore the STAR/AR framework for giving feedback in a structured manner
- Practice using the STAR/AR framework for giving ongoing feedback
We will deal with the following additional areas during this session:
- Performance driven conversation
- Handling difficult conversations
- Handling emotional employees
Skill Drill 3: Reflection and Summary(15 minutes)
A guided session to share learning and insights from the workshop. Participants complete their learning journal and action plan.
Post Workshop Support :
- Refresher Learning through simulation exercises
- Performance Management Playbook (Handout): STAR Technique + Feedforward Methodology + Cognitive Biases
- Performance Management Guide
- Post workshop e-learning